Thanks Mattias for reflecting upon your own practice and sharing your interpretation of the article.
The “Zopa(Zopa website)”:http://www.zopa.co.uk example you cite has a flash widget (beneath the fold) that also demonstrates _tell me a story_. It allows you to explore the _people_ who are willing to lend and borrow - they are not simply presented as a line of data from a search result. It also helps reinforce the marketing message that Zopa is human and is an engaging overview for the first-time browser. I suspect somewhere within the site there is a more traditional way of searching for the serious applicant (that can accommodate for many more search results in the screen).
Chris, I find 99% of the time arguing the user’s case means the stakeholders recognise the logic behind the design decisions. But yes, the other 1% is more often than not the response “well because of business goals…”
bq. It is about life questions, and functions in an associative way, to lead you from one notion or question to the next. You can also search for a more specified theme, respond and read responses by others.
Hi Jeffrey, a site talking about human experiences does seem to beg for a non-formulaic approach. I might have more to say if I could read Dutch! Regardless it was obvious to explore within the “5 thema’s section”.
And Amber I was recently faced with your example of what design does. It was a pair of Marc Jacob boots. One side of my brain had Alain de Botton sprouting wisdom from “Status Anxiety (Status Anxiety Book)”:http://www.alaindebotton.com/status.asp . The other side was already visually caressing the cute round toe, the buttons, the curve where the suede joins the leather. The boots created _desire_. It’s very hard to be logical when faced with such beauty - and you can guess which side of me won.